Monday, January 03, 2011

Getting organized...

Happy New Year! I was up bright and early the other morning and felt so fortunate to enjoy this beautiful sunrise from my window. As I reflect on the year that has just ended and the new one that is well on it's way I am reminded of God's wonderful faithfulness, provision and care. During the reading service on Sunday one of the verses that really stood out was Isaiah 51:16 "I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand, I who set the heavens in place, who laid the foundations of the earth, and who say to Zion, You are my people."

I've also been thinking about what could be some good resolutions for this year. One that definitely comes to mind is being more organized. I got a good start during Christmas break and filed and got caught up on the stacks that had been staring at me from my desk. All are now neatly tucked away in the filing cabinet!

Another thing I'd like to improve is to be more organized with food and cooking. Last month I got an erasable whiteboard calendar as a white elephant gift. I'm using it to write out dinner ideas and make sure I use the fresh fruit and veggies in the fridge. So here is my plan... I wrote down my dinner ideas and what ingredients I had on hand. I'll let you know how it goes!

So let's see, if it's January 3 then it must be Tomato Basil Pasta! This is one of my very favorite and oh so easy recipes. I took some step by step pictures so you all can try it too. It's easy, delicious and ready in 30 minutes.
First add some whole wheat penne pasta to a pot of boiling water. Season lightly with a pinch or two of salt.
While the pasta is cooking peel 4 or 5 garlic cloves and chop them finely. Throw it in a skillet with some olive oil and saute taking care not to brown the garlic.Add the fresh chopped tomatoes (I peel mine just because I like them better that way).
Let cook for 5 min on medium heat until it starts to thicken. Season with salt to taste. Chop fresh basil and add to the sauce. Remove from heat. Pasta should be done by now. Drain it and return it to the pan.

Serve in a nice pasta bowl and sprinkle with Parmesan! Enjoy!

No comments: