Monday, January 10, 2011

An afternoon browsing through history

Another week is beginning and the year seems to be getting well on it's way. I'm still keeping up with my cooking calendar plan. This evening I had eggplant and green beans I had to use. I broiled a nice piece of salmon with balsamic vinegar to go along with the veggies. It was good!

Last Friday was the first in a series of three "short Fridays" at work. I wanted to do something with my free afternoon so on the spur of the moment I decided to go to the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda. The tour began with a short film about his life and presidency. I am a bit ashamed to admit that there was so much I didn't know about Richard Nixon's life and political career. The displays were interesting and quite informative. How political campaigning has changed! Some of the displays even included some kitchy campaign jewelery! Can you imagine wearing some of it?
One display that was very interesting to me was the hall with life size sculptures of political figures from Nixon's era including Nikita Khrushchev who was 5'4" and Golda Meir who was just over 5 foot. Some how I always imagined they were taller than that!
Next I explored the gardens outside and the presidential helicopter. I got to go inside (no photos were allowed of the interior) and it was like a walk back into the 60's. The interior has not been altered since Kennedy, Nixon, Johnson and Ford used it. No frills just some upholstered seats in avocado green, burnt orange each equipped with their own individual ashtrays, okra gold carpeting which I'm sure were the top design colors of the day and of course the famous presidential red phone. There was not too much head room which made me think most of them might have had to duck as they walk around inside.
Then there was Nixon's actual birthplace. His father built the house from a kit. I was small but cozy inside. The guide showed us the bedroom and bed where he was born. They didn't have running water or electricity until later. One curious thing was the card in the kitchen window. It had numbers on it and you would place it in the window to let the ice man know how many pounds of ice to leave for the ice box. Times have sure changed!
It was an afternoon well spent! Now what shall I do for the next short Friday?

No comments: