Thursday, September 30, 2010

Blast from the Past... 1969

What might be one of the most famous quotes of 1969 is "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." spoken by astronaut Neil Armstrong as he became the first man to walk on the moon that year.

Other notable events that year...

Nixon became President

Sesame Street made it's debut on PBS

The Chappaquiddick Affair involves Senator Edward Kennedy

Still at war with Vietnam

Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut flying from Seattle to NY

Average Cost of new house $15,550

Average Cost New Car $3,270

Gas per Gallon 35 cents


So what made me go on this memory ride into the past? This morning as I was counting the bills in the cash drawer getting ready to make the weekly deposit I came across an old $5 bill. I have gotten so used to the newer design that I almost had forgotten what the old bills looked like. So I looked at it closely and saw it was from the 1969 series. Of course my imagination begin to run wild and I'm wondering if this bill could talk what could it tell us about where it's been and what it has seen. Was it in some one's pocket when Nixon gave his inaugural speech? Was it used to buy some bell bottom jeans and tie-dye shirts that had become part of the teenage fashion scene?
And where was I in 1969? Well, I dug up some old pictures and as far as I can tell I was a shy little toddler living in San Cristobal, Venezuela along with my parents, older sister and brand new baby brother.
Here I am with my sister Donna (I wonder why she is wearing a tie?) and our dog Jetty.

Where were you in 1969?

2 comments:

g said...

i was an egg waiting in line.

Timonik said...

i was not here yet, or maybe I was in my mom's womb =)