Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fairy Blossom Lavender Lane?

Every year right around this time the jacaranda trees begin to bloom. I love the burst of color on the trees in the midst of the June gloom! These tall trees form a canopy of lovely purple blooms and the ground is covered with a delicate carpet of fallen flowers... it kind of reminds me of the part in the movie Anne of Green Gables when she is driving along in a carriage and gives creative, descriptive and very imaginative names to all the places. I wonder what Anne would call this street? I should read this book again! Here are a few of her imaginative names:
"I have it lots of time--whenever I see anything royally beautiful. But they shouldn't call that lovely place the Avenue. There is no meaning in a name like that. They should call it--let me see--the White Way of Delight. Isn't that a nice imaginative name?"
"That's Barry's pond," said Matthew.
"Oh, I don't like that name, either. I shall call it--let me see--the Lake of Shining Waters. Yes, that is the right name for it. I know because of the thrill. When I hit on a name that suits exactly it gives me a thrill. Do things ever give you a thrill?"
-from Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Chapter 2 - Matthew Cuthbert is surprised

1 comment:

Gypmar said...

Jacaranda trees are right up there with nasturtiums on my "California fauna I miss" list. I love the way they smell and how it matches the look of their blossoms.