Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vanity plates and other odd things you see while driving
Webster's Dictionary defines vanity as:

1 : something that is vain, empty, or valueless
2 : the quality or fact of being vain
3 : inflated pride in oneself or one's appearance : CONCEIT
4 : a fashionable trifle or knickknack


It makes me wonder why some people feel the need to have vanity plates on their cars? OK, I have to admit once upon a time I had a vanity plate on my red 1980 AMC Spirit but that was high school! Once I graduated and time keeped passing by I didn't really want everyone knowing the year that happened. Yesterday as I was driving home from work I kept seeing some of these plates. Do I really need to know that you are DCTRLUV or that you are an 1NVSTER or that J ROCKS M and what does HERHARE even mean? And they are paying money for this!

And another strange phenomenon are license plate frames. Have you ever stopped to read some of them as you are behind them waiting for the light to change? The previously mentioned DCTRLUV had a diamond bedazzled frame. And as I was leaving Trader Joe's there was the white Ford Explorer had a frame that boldly stated "ready for fun... loyal to none". Really?!! You want the whole world to see that? Then of course you have all the people who like to let you know what team they are a super fan of or what their Alma mater is, and most don't seem to mind giving free advertisement space to the car dealership where they purchased said car. Even crazier, I remember a few years ago as I was driving to work I saw a someone that had attached a folded lawn chair to the back of their car trunk to which they attached a giant "Vote for Neal" sign. I should look for that picture...it's in my files somewhere.

As for me, vanity plates went the way of other "fashionable trifles" like big 80's hair, pegged jeans and shoulder pads. The first thing I did when I purchased my truck was to remove the dealership frame. Just the plain old license plate for me please. Nice & simple... and no bumper stickers please!

1 comment:

jeric2003 said...

DCTRLUV could well be a KISS fan. They had a song called Calling Dr. Love: http://popup.lala.com/popup/432627047853926344

Personally, I have a vanity plate for tons of reasons. It's fun, and fun goes with my fun little car. Most Minis seem to have customized plates, actually. It's not that expensive. It's easier to remember than 1DEJO69.

I think people are just having fun and sharing a bit of their personalities. It helps them feel a little less drone-like on the drive to work, I'm sure. Some are vain, but some are just trying to be individuals, make others smile, or even share something important to them.

I agree with you on the dealership license holder, though. I have my little Union Jack one, which shows my love of British things and the heritage of Minis, and looks cute on top of JERIC 03!