Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sourdough biscuits anyone?

Life has been busy and among some things that have been waiting for a bit of my time like my poor ignored blog was a jar of sourdough starter that a friend of mine had given me a while back.  I have a confession to make.  Even though I love cooking and baking I've always been a little intimidated by bread making.  So of course I kept putting it off... It kept staring at me on the kitchen counter and I kept trying to find time and a recipe I felt comfortable trying.  So this Saturday morning feeling rested after a good night's sleep I decided I would take on the jar of strange smelling goo.  I decided on a quick bread type recipe (I know, the safer choice!) and found one in a cookbook another friend of mine lent to me.  I've been wanting to try a recipe or two from "A Cowboy In The Kitchen".  Sure enough, there was a recipe for Sourdough Biscuits!



It look simple enough so I dove right in.  Start by mixing all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then add 1 stick of butter cubed

Work the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter until it's crumbly.

Time to add the mysterious goo... (sourdough starter) and mix until it comes together.  Don't over knead!


Turn it out unto a floured surface and roll out with your rolling pin.  One thing I would do differently is roll them a bit thicker next time (about 3/4 inch thickness).

 Cut out biscuits as close as possible with your biscuit cutter.


Place biscuits on a greased parchment paper lined cookie sheet and let rise for about 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400.



Place in oven for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.



Butter the tops of the biscuits while they are hot for a little added goodness!  Serve warm with butter and honey... Enjoy!

~A Cowboy in the Kitchen by Grady Spears and Robb Walsh, page 95


Sourdough Biscuits 
2 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Sugar
1/2 cup Butter, chilled
3/4 cup Sourdough starter


No comments: