Thursday, October 18, 2012

Baking Pies for Noah's Heart Fundraiser


This past Friday I spent the evening baking some pies for a fund raiser.  (Read about Noah's Heart here)

I decided to make two pumpkin and one apple.  Since I was baking these to raise money I opted to buy an inexpensive but cute pie plate instead of the disposable foil ones.  I found this really cute one at the local Marshall's store.  It said "Stay Calm and Make a Pie" along the rim.


The other had an apple pie recipe printed on the inside of it.  Cute, cute!


My favorite recipe for pumpkin pie comes right off of the Libby's can but I have adapted it and changed it up a little to suit my taste.  I posted it last November.  This time I used cinnamon, allspice, ginger and pumpkin spice.  If you want to you could just pour the recipe into a glass baking dish minus the crust.

This year I also used an old recipe I have had written down on a little piece of paper.  I believe it came from one of my Mom's cookbooks.  It is a really fool proof pie crust recipe.

Never Fail Pie Crust Recipe (from my Mom's Amish cookbook)


The secret to a good crust is to use ice cold water and don't over mix or handle the crust too much.  Just combine until the ingredients are mixed together. I like to mix up the pie crust ahead of time (the day before) and then refrigerate it in round discs ready to be used.  The recipe makes two pie crusts.







No comments: