Sunday, July 29, 2012

Testing... testing...


This is the "test cake" I made for my friend Michelle's wedding which is coming up in a few weeks.  What better way to test the cake than by making one this weekend for her bridal shower.


Since she wanted Chocolate Cake I looked for recipes and ended up using The Pioneer Woman's Big Chocolate Birthday Cake recipe which has quickly become my new favorite.

You don't even need a mixer to make it!

That's right!

No mixer required!

I made three layers, cooled them and then covered them with a basic buttercream icing that I Am Baker recommended.  I also added raspberry extract to the icing for a little flavor.




I wanted to do something different than the fondant cakes I've decorated in the past.  I had come across the Rose Cake from I am Baker a few months ago, loved the look of it, and really wanted to try my hand at it.

And here is my first attempt at it...


I think Michelle likes it!


I'm pleased by the results too!


I learned a few things and now I think I'm ready to make the one for the big day!  Can't wait!

1 comment:

Gypmar said...

The roses are absolutely gorgeous! Love it!