Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A strange but fun Tuesday...It was around 7:30 this morning as I was getting in the car to go to work that I got a phone call from one of my co-workers. She told me that a transformer blew up causing a major power outage in our office building. There was no estimated time for it being fixed but they were anticipating it would take at least 4 or 5 hours. Wow... and right in the middle of finals week! When I arrived at work the building was dark. Not only had it affected the electricity but also this is the main building with all the network, servers, main frame computers etc. This meant although there was power in other places on campus but the university was completely off line. So with no end in sight we were told we could take off and check back at 11:30. So I took advantage of the beautiful day outside to go with my friend Amy to buy my Christmas tree. I was a sunny bright day and after all the rain yesterday all the surrounding mountain were covered with snow! This was Amy's first time to go to a Christmas tree lot. How do you get your tree in Michigan, Amy?? I guess you actually go cut it down? Who knew! ;) We picked out a beautiful tree, loaded it up in the back of my truck and took it home. We got back to the office just in time for our office Christmas party. We had a wonderful "feast" with all the delicious dishes everyone brought. Abby came with baby Kate! I haven't seen her since she was a tiny little preemie in the hospital. She is doing well and weighs almost 8 lbs now. It was a blessing to share this time with the office family! Power was restored around 1:30 pm with the help of some generators that were brought in. Our work email is still down but hopefully everything will get back to normal soon! Check out all the pictures of today's adventure by clicking here.

No comments: